Thursday, October 8, 2009

Back and a Mrs.

Well, the wedding has come and gone, and the day went beautifully and according to plan. It rained, which made pictures an issue, but I didn’t mind (it was an indoor ceremony, who cares if it rained?)

Memories:

My bridesmaid Kathy duking it out with my dad to get the ceiling decorated exactly how I wanted it. It came out lovely, and I got a lot of people commenting on how beautiful it was and how much they loved it. Way to go Kathy! My father was trying to do the tight Christmas light configuration that goes outside of the house – but I wanted a really loose look.



Of course, I did want the room darker, but that’s okay. It’s good for people to be able to see.

My mom actually loved the hand fasting part of our ceremony—this was the part of our wedding that we kept secret for the longest. I think she was told about it around two weeks before the wedding, and amazingly didn’t freak out about it. And her favorite part of the ceremony? The hand fasting. She was actually a whole lot more cool about the whole event than I expected her to be…we were doing a lot of non-traditional things, which I felt made our ceremony more reflective of us as a couple. However, she comes from a very traditional background, so all of those things could have really made it uncomfortable for her and some of our other guests. We did put a few things in there for them: the vocal piece (Ave Maria), the reading (Corinthians), the minister’s attire (the dog collar). We had a prayer, but no deity was named – that’s one of those things that people tend to automatically just fill in the blanks on their own though. I wonder if anyone noticed we didn’t invoke God or Jesus.

It was kind of a weird feeling, going through the ceremony – I felt more like this was some production we were putting on for others – as I already felt like John was my husband, this was just a formality for others to recognize it. And having spent as much time as we did creating this ceremony together, in many ways, I feel that cemented us more than actually saying the vows, going through the ceremony. I wasn’t nervous – except I was afraid that if someone started to cry then I would – I was more relieved to actually be doing it. No more rehearsals, no more tweaking/adjustments. This was it. Now appearing, for one night only. Probably doesn’t hurt that we’re theatre people.

My bridesmaids were amazing – they worked so hard getting our reception site decorated. It looked amazing – and it was very exciting to see the puzzle FINALLY put together. What I loved was that our vision was actually very beautiful. Strange little details that we didn’t expect – the disposable linen tablecloths (paper that was linen look) that I bought were silver tone. Choices were silver tone or gold tone. But in that silver tone was a touch of green – which happened to be EXACTLY one of the colors we picked out. The appearance of the words we used as the ceremony benediction… on the programs, on the bottom of the cake topper (we didn’t pick them out because those words were there. We picked them out, then discovered them all over the place.)

As we were setting up the table decorations, my aunt was talking to my mother about how nice they looked. She said something along the lines of how perfect it would be if only we scattered some leaves on the tables – when out came the leaves that I had bought. My mother was surprised at how well the table chocolates matched (I had been waiting for those chocolates for a year – the fall Hershey’s miniatures. Last year I saw them and knew they’d be perfect – but I couldn’t buy THOSE at Cheap Chocolate Day. Those had to be fresh. And I’d been waiting for their release this year.) Apparently, the latest limited edition Hershey’s KISS is a hit (Candy Corn Flavor)

Set up took longer than I hoped, but not longer than I’d budgeted time for.

The cake was lovely – not quite what I expected, but still beautiful. And different.


Notice how the top of each layer is a different color? Those are our wedding colors. I've not seen a cake similar and our baker had never (!) done one like it. The owner commented that she wondered why they had never thought of it before. I love the look of it.

And John’s Nutter Butter Pirate Ship really rocked!


(It sailed on an ocean of tulle. )
Everything came out wonderfully, and we had an amazing honeymoon.

Planning our wedding was really wonderful, as we did plan it together—I was so very lucky that my husband was as interested in the event as I was…because this became an event that didn’t celebrate me, or him….but us. And that’s what a marriage should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment