Saturday, April 11, 2009

letting down

I've been a member of several RPGs for many years. Just to break that down -- it's role playing games, and ours are writing groups--specifically for The Magnificent Seven, a television show that went off the air in 1999. One of the groups has literally been around for eight years. That's a really long time. However, I have not watched an episode of this show in at least three years, and I really do not feel inspired to write for it anymore. I'd like to move on to writing original fiction, rather than serial fanfiction with a soap operatic twist.

The problem? There are other people in these groups who will be disappointed. My characters are so immersed that removing them would drastically alter anything that they might choose to do. It's a bit like I'm still there, not because I want to be, but because I do not want to upset the other writers.

But, I find myself drifting apart from the groups, and writing my parts is a chore. I don't enjoy it.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and send in a "It's been great writing with you" note to all of them.

I would like to start writing an original piece, but I don't feel I can while doing this. At the same time, these groups have really helped me hone my story telling and character development skills. It's just time to move on. Sometimes, though, I think we feel the good bye well before we actually say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment