Saturday, April 4, 2009

Yard Sailing

Today, I finally did the yard sale I started preparing for over a year ago. Yes, I am afraid I did procratinate that long. Did pretty well too! We earned $118 (yay!). Of course, while there, John spotted something he really wanted (EARLY too... I mean, at 7 am). What was it? Bicycles. One of the people there had two bikes, each at $35. He watched them all day. No one bought them...though I think they had a couple nibbles, but no actual takers. So, when they were packing up, he said "Wonder if they'll take $30 for both." So I handed him $30 from our proceeds. Actually, they dickered up to $40. So, for $40, we got TWO (count 'em) TWO bicycles. They have a little bit of maintenance issues -- his needed a new seat since it was a bit hard. Mine has a decent seat, but I'm getting a memory foam seat cover. Of course, I had to get a bike rack. You can see where this is going can't you? We pretty much spent the whole yard sale take on bike things.

But that is okay! It's healthy, it's something we can do together. We traded the pile of junk that has been living in my living room for a year for something he has really missed since moving here. Of course, it has been over 20 years since I rode a bicycle. We had briefly considered renting them while in Hawaii; however, for some reason, we decided against--probably how long it had been since I had ridden, since Gen, my Maid of Honor, definitively had lots of biking experience.

The most terrifying part of the day came when it was time to go home. Keep in mind, at a yard sale, you never sell everything. And I was not bringing that stuff back home. No, it was going to the Good Will. But my car was loaded. Granted, it was loaded significantly less than when we got there that morning. John's car is still pretty loaded. Getting the bikes in them....not an option. How to get the bikes home? You guessed it, we rode them....then walked back to the location of the yard sale, and took the cars. Fortunately, we live pretty close. Unfortunately, it is a hugely busy street, and we had a mega intersection to traverse. AND, as I said, I have not ridden a bike in 20 years. I was so worried I was going to fall and not only hurt myself with lots of scrapes....but also get tire treads on me. Normally, my street is busy. But this weekend was "Zoo Weekend" and the main shuttle pick up point is on my street. It was busy. But we managed to get home and back to the cars all safe and sound.

Then we actually decided to go to a park and ride our new toys. It was really nice and invigorating. Plus, I felt like I was getting some real exercise. I'm really looking forward to the muscles that will start complaining tomorrow. Right now, I think they are in shock. Of course, my legs have been hurting for no reason lately....at least they now have an excuse.

The bikes are both Roadmasters. Mine is pink and purple (very cute). John's is blue. I do want to get a handlebar bag...but we did already get our bottle holder -- they actually have a place built into the frame for that! Awesome.

And the bike rack was on sale! (Normally $60, on sale for $40. Good timing.) I have to say, the way we got the bikes loaded in the car worked, but was not exactly the best way to do it. Next time, it will be so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment