Friday, February 20, 2009

Footloose and Fancy Free - A Celtic Swing Reception

My fiance and I celebrate our nuptuals on September 26, 2009. That's a really fancy way of saying we're getting hitched in a little over 7 months. Time seems to fly and drag simultaneously, which is truly confusing!




This is our reception!

We've got a lot settled, and a lot that I seem to revisit all the time. I guess I'm doing that because we're doing this shindig on a budget--no shame in that! But in many ways it means that we're doing things as inexpensively as possible, and I'm not really happy with the lesser cost item. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to overspend just to give my inner princess a carriage ride or something insane -- but I keep tweaking the reception menu. My poor fiance thinks it's settled and I go "I have an idea...."

So, right now (and I do say that with a bit of a sigh), our reception menu is interesting, and I'm actually happy with it. It's also a tad different (which makes me even happier with it).

We're going to be doing a cheese ball theme for the reception. I'll start making the cheese balls about three months prior and freezing them, and then unfreeze them a week before, form them and roll them in their nuts (or whatever... yeah, balls and nuts. Of COURSE there will be jokes over that!). We'll also have some chicken nuggets and meatballs. The cheese balls / dips will have breads or crackers served with them, depending on what they are. Some cheese balls will be meaty (there is an awesome chicken cheese ball I'll be making). Some will be just cheesy. And some will be cheesy/fruity. And since we're doing cheese -- might as well go completely with it with some 'cheesey' names for our cheese balls. My current favorite is the "Erin Go Ball" (for Erin Go Braugh). The meatballs will be labeled as "The Best of Haggis (because no one really wants to eat the rest of it)". Chicken nuggets are "Because the Scots love fried food" Our wedding has a Celtic theme, so our cheese balls will be named after Celtic stuff (hence haggis and erin go ball).






<------- This is our cake topper. Our cake is going to be amazing. I can't wait to see what we envisioned come to life. I'd show y'all a picture, except that it really was something that my fiance and I designed ourselves. We presented it to the baker, who made a couple of suggestions, and told us how he intended to do certain elements.





The cake is sour cream pound cake with raspberry/amaretto filling. (Trust me, it's quite yummy!) It will be a three-layer cake. The sides of the cake will be a bisque white color to match the cake topper; however, the top of each later will be in one of our three wedding colors. The middle tier will have celtic knotwork matching our cake topper. And because it is an autumn wedding, instead of sugar flowers, we'll have pastillage leaves painted in autumn colors placed about the cake. I wish I could show a picture of this cake; but it was designed by us. We're all just going to have to wait until September (well... you will have to wait until October. Sorry.)



As far as decorations go, this was the inspiration for ours. The ceiling will be decorated in white Christmas lights (got on sale...yay!) with leaves tied to it via twine. I have about 100 or more leaves already ready to be tied to the lights. The effect I am going for is a forest canopy at night with the stars twinkling above. It's abstract of course, but that is what it is supposed to represent.

I am also making candles in our wedding colors. They are not made yet -- I figure I will start them next weekend. These will be placed on mirrors on each of the tables (probably about 2 or 3 candles per table) .


As far as entertainment? We're the iPod generation. My fiance is responsible for the music for both the ceremony and reception. We'll be having a Swing Dance, with 80s music too. He's going to do a quick lesson in Swing right after our first dance so that everyone will have an idea of how to do it. (I picked it up without lessons, so I figure anyone can.)

I ordered my garter! I have to make a toss bouquet. We'll be doing an anniversary dance, and the couple married the longest will receive the bouquet and garter. I am pretty certain it will be my Aunt Sissy and Uncle Marvin. I don't know how long they've been married. I'm sure it is over 50 years though. They were married when my Dad's brother got married. And my Dad's brother was married when HE got married. It's going to one of my Dad's siblings--unless someone at my church surprises us.

No comments:

Post a Comment